Friday, September 16, 2016

Kangkong must be washed and cooked well before eating. Here are the reasons why


Kangkong (Scientific Name: Ipomoea aquatica) is a semiaquatic, tropicalplant grown as a vegetable for its tender shoots and leaves.


It is a very common vegetable in the Philippines, also known as Water Spinach, River Spinach, Water Morning Glory and Chinese Spinach but it can be surprisingly deadly if it is not cooked well!

It is a delicious side dish and it is included in many home-cooked meals. Adobong kangkong is often served in high-end restaurants.

However, if not cooked well, eating kangkong can lead to a condition called fasciolopsiasis.

A large species of the parasitic intestinal fluke called fasciolopsis buskin thrives in the watery areas where the Kangkong usually grows. These parasites place their eggs in the water and form into larval cysts.

If not cleaned or washed properly, they can be ingested, giving them access to your digestive track, after which they will eventually pin themselves to your intestinal walls.

Victims may experience abdominal pain, indigestion and other allergic reactions. If not properly taken care of, the flukes may multiply and can lead to a person’s death!

Therefore, if you eat Kangkong it should be thoroughly washed and cooked well to avoid harming your body.

Source: Trendingnewsportal


EmoticonEmoticon